FILMscratchJUNKIES

The colors and pace seemed to reference a busy city. The construction worker at the beginning followed by the colored moving lights that stopped and went like cars or traffic lights. As the pace of the music and images changed it was as though the viewer too was moving through the city to a different section of town that has a unique mood and atmosphere.

I find it interesting to look at my own reaction to experimental film. Before even considering film as a potential field of study in college I had always found different experimental shorts I would come across very interesting. Some of the particularly avant-garde pieces would confuse me, but even if I found it physically painful to listen or watch, I was always fascinated by the way in which something so other-wordly could be created by a person. (And as experimental film often allows, just one individual)

The transition to actually studying film has both de-mystified experimental and given it more meaning. After studying pace in editing, graphic matches, the way in which sound and image relate, experimentals have more depth and yet I can begin to see through the layers. I hope throughout the class this de-mystification will continue as I create my own short films.