On The Saturday Shoot

October 11 started as a dreary day with no sign of blue anywhere in the sky. Even the rain seemed too apathetic to decide if it should just get it over with or linger the entire day in sporadic drizzle sessions. Normally the prospect of having to go on campus for school on a Saturday would be annoying at best, in this weather, purely dreadful.

However, I happily rummaged through my closet for some sort of elaborate costume for what would be my first 'real' film shoot. Once I arrived to the classroom our group began to plan out our one minute narrative. With no sound, and only one shot at a one take short, our plot had to be somewhat sparse. We ended up with a "trade-off" of a mysterious briefcase between two ridiculously clothed men. For comedic effect, the recipient of the case would then be tackled by a runner coming from off screen.

The shot required only a long sidewalk, a simple dolly movement forward, then back as the recipient walked toward the camera. Thankfully, the rain held off when we actually began practicing our camera movements. My position was the dolly grip, and my enemy would turn out to be the cracks in the cement, each one jolting the camera and skewing my path toward the grass. After a few run throughs for timing we ended up succeeding in producing my first 'real' film.